The game of bingo still proves to be popular for millions of people all over the globe. While land-based bingo halls are generally on the decline, in part because of bingo sites like Rocket Bingo and Mecca Bingo gaining popularity, thousands of people still make the trip to their local bingo hall every week. Not every bingo hall is created equal though and there are some very odd ones out there to say the least.
We thought we would take a look at some of the most unique and interesting places to play traditional bingo in the UK and beyond. There certainly are some unusual options so we’ve listed our top 5 below.
- Gala Bingo Club, Tooting – Located in the London borough of Wandsworth, the Gala Bingo club in Tooting is the first on our list. This bingo hall is housed in an old cinema that was originally built as one of the historical Art Deco cinemas of the 30s. It is considered by many to still be one of the most spectacular cinemas in Britain and is considered an asset of community value in London. It’s one of Gala’s most popular venues and well worth a visit if you’re in the area.
- Veggie Bingo, Chicago – This began as an idea to create awareness of how important it is to support your local businesses and to buy local produce. There is a focus on great food with Veggie Bingo with additional prizes of local produce from local businesses and farmers offered on top of the standard cash jackpot. You will find Veggie Bingo across several halls in Chicago with lots of these games taking place every week and these can be played both indoors and outdoors!
- Durham Bingo Hall, Bishop Auckland – This venue cause quite the stir in late 2016 when it was reported that the bingo hall itself was subject to some paranormal activity. Dubbed the “Grey Lady” the apparent apparition was captured on video and the eerie footage appeared to show a ghostly old lady. Staff of the Hippodrome Bingo Club in Bishop Auckland, County Durham have previously stated that they believe the hall to be haunted. While these might just seem to be old wives’ tales, there have been quite a few sightings of this apparition.
- Five 15, Michigan – This bingo hall is based in the US in the state of Michigan and its main selling point is their Drag Queen Bingo games. These are a popular choice among the local community and lots of fun. It’s common for players to dress up in a range of extravagant outfits and has become a popular option for many different types of player. The entertainment hosts such as “The Mouth of the South” are there to keep things friendly and fun at all times.
- Mecca Bingo, Rosehill – Another bingo hall that reportedly a bit haunted! The Mecca Bingo hall in Rosehill, London left members scared out of their wits after some strange noises were heard. This actually led to a séance being held by a group of ghost hunters known as The Ghost Club. The club contacted Mecca after they had heard of the goings on at this popular bingo venue. The group asked a series of questions and were apparently greeted with loud bangs. Some staff even went as far to say that they had seen doors slam of their own accord. Spooky!
These bingo halls are indicative of just how fun the game can be and how quirky players can be too! All over the world, this game still commands attention and players. With wonderful jackpots on offer, some may even be tempted to visit the spookier ones on our list.